Friday, December 28, 2012

Getting ready for the holidays

Cute idea for gift wrapping...

Wrap gifts with plain brown paper, get big ribbon of your choosing, letter stickers were 1.49$ @ Marshall's! They look great under the tree and you can avoid having to deal with name tags. 

Decorating with Christmas Ornaments...

 
Great Winter Soup....

 
 
Butternut Squash Soup w/ Beet Slaw
 
I recently relocated from Nashville to Columbus, Ohio.  The change from a mild winter to a cold winter has me craving all different kinds of soup.  I decided I wanted to get creative and make a nice winter soup for my friends.  I came across this recipe for Beet Slaw which proved to be a great addition to the soup. 
You can find the recipe for the slaw here: Beet Slaw Recipe 
    *notes -- next time I make this I will cut in half as this recipe creates a large amount of slaw. Additionally, I will only use the zest from 1/4 an orange as I thought the taste, at times, was overpowering. 

What you Need:
* 1 medium butternut squash
* 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger grated
* 2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon (I really like cinnamon, can reduce to 1 tsp if desired)
* salt to taste
* 1.5 cups almond milk (can also use coconut milk, I just had almond (full fat) on hand).  
* 3.5 cups vegetable broth

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees.  Cut squash in half length wise and clean out seeds.  Drizzle with olive oil and salt.  Lay face down onto baking sheet and cook for an hour or until flesh is very soft.
2. Scoop flesh out of squash and mix with all other ingredients.  You have several options here.  I placed all ingredients in a pot and used an immersion blender to create the soup.  You can also place all ingredients in a blender or a food processor as well.  Once you reach desired texture move soup to a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce to simmer until ready to serve. Keep in mind you may have to add more almond milk or broth depending on the size of your squash. 
3.  To serve, place desired amount of soup in bowl.  Top with beet slaw and a sprinkle of almond milk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment