Friday, January 25, 2013

Broccoli Pasta with Kale Pesto

One of the biggest perks in cooking for yourself is that you can still have those dishes you crave but know you shouldn't eat!  You can't have them all the time but the more you cook the more you will find ways to "lighten" them up! I am not a huge pasta eater but unfortunately when I do want pasta I just love the creamy Alfredo sauce.  When I order this at a restaurant I would be horrified to find out how much butter and cream are used to create that tasty, but full of fat, sauce. Here is a version of a pasta meal that you don't have to feel so bad about! Using whole wheat noodles and lots of veggies will help you feel full instead of fat.

Broccoli Pasta with Kale Pesto

For the Pesto
-2 cups of Kale
-1 large garlic clove
-1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese
-1/8 cup toasted almonds *optional
-1/8 cup of Olive Oil 
-Olive Oil Spray
-Salt and pepper to taste

-Using a food processor add all ingredients (including dashes of salt and pepper) and mix until desired texture is reached.
            *** I usually start out using half of the olive oil and then add in as necessary.  I try to use the least amount of possible but depending what I plan to use the pesto for changes the texture I desire. 


For the Pasta
- Whole Wheat Pasta - I use the serving size identified on the back of the box per person.  This lets you know exactly how much you should be making per person you are cooking for and keeps you from over-doing it with the carbs. 
-Broccoli - I use one full stalk per person.
* I chose to make this just with what I had on hand but other vegetables would be a great addition.  Onions, mushrooms and zucchini come to mind. 
 
-Rinse broccoli and chop removing stems.  In a medium sized saute pan, spray bottom with olive oil and bring to low-medium heat.  Saute broccoli with salt and pepper until soft.  
         *You could also steam the broccoli if preferred
 
-Cook pasta as instructed on box.  Bringing water to a boil and cook until done. 
Drain Pasta.  Place pasta back in warm
pot and throw in the broccoli.

-Add 1 Tablespoon of pesto per serving and toss until pesto loosens up and pasta is well coated. If you feel like you need to add more pesto add 1 spoonful at a time! It won't look like a lot but the flavor is there! 



















**The picture does not reflect the fact that this is a dish that is composed mostly of broccoli.  The broccoli tends to fall to the bottom but you are getting large servings of veggie with this dish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment