Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Football Friendly Foods

With football season winding down I have decided to take advantage of the bowl games and try some football friendly appetizers.  For someone who doesn't follow football as intensely as I should, I have to say I love the idea of loving football.  First, I am from the south so a natural SEC fan. My two brothers and father are huge Alabama fans. Rule #1 for an SEC fan is you LOVE football.  Secondly, my boyfriend is a HUGE Michigan football fan.  Let’s just say I get it coming at me from every angle.  Since I can’t really talk players and stats, I make my contributions via the food and providing a football friendly space to gather and watch the games.  Like I said, I like the whole idea.  I love people hanging out around a fire.  A low key winter day to me is one with people watching football and others hanging around enjoying the weekend.

I decided to try these Crap Dip Cups that I saw on Taste of Home. I adapted it slightly and must say it was a hit! 


Crab Dip Cups





What you Need: 

Cups:
1 cup water
1/2 c butter, cubed
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all purpose flour
3 eggs

Filling:
1 can of lump crab meat
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup of mayo/miracle whip
1/2 cup of Swiss cheese
1/8 cup of diced white onion
1 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning (generic is called Chesapeake Seasoning). 
Salt/Pepper to taste

Directions:


1) In a small saucepan bring water and butter to a boil. Mix flour and salt well.  
Once boiling, remove from heat and add flour mixture, all at once, to water and stir until it forms into a ball.  Next, beat eggs, one at at time, into flour mixture. Dough should be shiny and smooth consistency. 

2) Drop by spoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. The bigger the spoonfuls the longer it will take to ensure the middle isn't doughy. They will bake up mostly hollow in the middle making them perfect for any kind of filling. Once browned, remove from oven and place on wire cooling rack.  Immediately, slit with knife to release steam, and remove top.  

3) While cooling mix filling together in a medium sized mixing bowl.  Beat yogurt, cream cheese and mayo together.  Stir in crab meat and onions.  Lastly, add the Old Bay or Chesapeake Seasoning, salt and pepper.  Stir until mixed well.  

4) Fill cups with filling.  Place top back on top of cup.  Heat again in over for 5-10 minutes to get warm and bring out flavors! 


No comments:

Post a Comment