Thursday, January 3, 2013

My favorite recipes of 2012

I was thinking as part of creating my New Year's Resolutions that I could do a few post regarding some of my favorite things from 2012.  A lot happened in the past year, I was fortunate enough to go on some pretty nice trips with friends and family.  We moved to Columbus and I started a new job.  It will take me some time to narrow down all the things I would like to post from 2012.  For now, I will just start with some of my favorite recipes from the past year. As you continue reading you are going to feel as though I let you down with my first selection.  However, I have to say this was something that was enjoyed many nights a week in our home.  Most importantly it is easy and  you usually have everything you need on hand. What's not to love about a simple salad that will compliment most meals, and you don't have to make an extra trip to the store? If you knew how many nights we ate this in our home you would agree it must be on the list for some of the best things from 2012. 


Apple & Walnut Salad


What you Need: 

- Arugula & Spinach mixed salad.  I usually use 2-5 cups depending on how many people I am feeding.  Also, keep in mind we eat big salads in our house. For 2 people I usually use my medium sized bowl and use between 3-4 cups of lettuce (not packed down). 
- 1-2 Granny Smith Apples.  I like to use half apple per person I am serving.
- 1/4 c. Shelled Walnuts 
- 1/4-1/2 c. Crumbled Blue Cheese (again depending on how many people you are serving. *For those of you who do not like Blue Cheese-- Goat Cheese could be a good substitution.  Additionally, if you don't want to add cheese you could add dried cranberries.
-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil 
-2 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
-1 heaping Teaspoon of Dijon Mustard 
-1 small garlic clove, minced
-Salt/Pepper to taste

Directions:
1) In a medium sized mixing bowl or salad bowl place spinach and arugula mix.  Slice apples into small chunks and place on top.  Sprinkle cheese and walnuts on top. 
2) To make salad dressing whisk Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Mustard and Garlic until well mixed.  Add desired amount of salt/pepper and mix well. 
3) Drizzle dressing over top of salad.  Toss the salad so dressing is evenly dispersed throughout.  
4) Serve 

*Notes:  We have gotten to where we make this so often that you can really eyeball the dressing.  You can easily make more or less of the dressing depending on how many people you are having for dinner.  I try to just keep it two parts balsamic and three parts olive oil and then I can really make any amount necessary.  I tend to just make a larger amount in a dressing container so we have it on hand.  We just dump all the dressing ingredients into the container, hold the lid on tight, and shake well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment