Thursday, February 28, 2013

Catfish Po'Boy

Trying to eat more seafood at home is going well so far.  I have a few easy recipes to post and when I say easy I mean it.  I know very little about seafood so I am starting with the basics.  I'd like to eventually be able to make my own sushi but for now that will have to wait.  I get Real Simple magazine and have to say they do a great job providing recipes for during the week as they are pretty easy and not a lot of prep time.  I saw this Tilapia Po'Boy served with a Radish and Cucumber salad in last month's issue.  You can find the online recipe right here. I put my own twist on it and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  I used catfish, but I read that cod would also be a good alternative.  I served mine with a Radish and Cucumber Dill Salad 

 
Catfish Po'Boy w/ Spicy Mayo
 
Seasoned catfish
What you need:
 
- 1 cup Panko
- 1/2 lb. fresh catfish
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 2 Tablespoons of Mayo (reduced fat)
- 1 Teaspoon of green chili hot sauce
- 1/4 Tsp. of dill
- Dash of salt/pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Oregano
- 1/4 cup of egg beaters (or 1 egg, whisked)
- 1/2 ripe tomato, sliced
Directions:
 
1) Heat oven to low broil.
2) Mix Panko with Old Bay, Paprika and Oregano and then pour along the bottom of a flat dish.
3) Whisk egg with a dash of salt/pepper or add a dash of salt/pepper to egg beater liquid. Pour liquid in a small flat/shallow dish.
4) Dredge catfish through the egg liquid and then move to dish containing seasoned Panko.  Cover both sides well with Panko mixture.  Shake so excess falls off and then place "breaded" fish in alternate pan. Do this with all of your catfish.
5) Heat Olive oil over medium heat in a skillet or grill pan.  Once warm, place fish in pan and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.  When done it will flake easily.
6) While fish is cooking place bun under broiler for a few minutes to toast till golden brown.
7) Mix together mayo, hot sauce and dill.
8) When fish is done, break into large chunks to use to fill your hoagie.
9) Spread mayo on one side of hoagie and layer with slices of tomato, fill with fish and enjoy!
 
Enjoy this dish with a Radish and Cucumber Dill Salad, pictured below.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment